Academic AdvisorJob ID Req #179 Location : Austin, TX, United States
Additional Locations : St. Augustine, FL, US; San Marcos, CA, US; Miami, FL, US; Dallas, TX, US; Date posted 06/27/2019
Academic Advisors facilitate student success by defining and implementing proactive strategies that help students stay on track to fulfill their educational goals. Advisors build supportive and personalized relationships with students and provide them with opportunities to stay connected to our educational community. They advise students on institutional policies and procedures, program and degree requirements, and related academic matters; and work closely with other institutional support teams to ensure that student inquiries are addressed in a timely and effective manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Connect with new students upon acceptance of admission to ensure overall readiness and escalate outstanding matters that would affect their ability to have a smooth and successful start.
• Provide students with proactive guidance on acclimating to their new student lifestyle and building supportive personal environments and best practices to facilitate their student success.
• Advise students on institutional policies and procedures, program requirements and related academic matters.
• Assist faculty advisors as needed on any issues regarding student advisement.
• Provide comprehensive outreach to students who are at risk of not meeting satisfactory academic progress including follow up to those on midterm or other academic warning.
• Closely monitor students to proactively identify at-risk scenarios and identify opportunities to develop, implement, measure and improve student success strategies.
• Work closely with institutional staff to ensure that student inquiries are strategically coordinated and addressed in a timely manner, leading to an inspiring student experience while supporting academic integrity and institutional policies.
• Guide students to develop accountability for their decisions and an understanding of how those decisions impact their success.
• Empower students to maintain effective connections to the institution and its community of learners.
• Must be willing to work up to 10 hours per week outside of M-F 8a-5p in order to accommodate students’ needs.
• Coordinate the campus peer tutoring program.
• Advise students on alternate schedules to provide support and ensure students are progressing within stated timeframes.
• Coordinate appeals and retention/progression hearings, not including arbitration, with the chairs of committees on campus.
• Assist with the delivery of on campus events as needed.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• May perform other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
POSITION IN ORGANIZATION
REPORTS TO: Executive Director Student Administration and Services POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None