Director, University CommunicationsJob ID 367 Location/s : Dallas, TX, US Miami,FL,US
Date posted 08/05/2020
The Director of University Communications will collaborate with administrative and academic leadership across all USAHS campuses to build and implement internal communications strategies that keep University constituents informed, align with the University’s mission and core values, and support the brand position and reputation of the institution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop high-impact communication strategies, channels, and vehicles to promote engagement with key constituencies and support the overall integrity of USAHS’s culture of commitment to excellence in health science education
- Ensure alignment of these strategies with USAHS’s business model, goals, and objectives
- Establish and maintain strong, collaborative, and coordinated relationships with administrative and academic leadership, cross-functional business partners and team members throughout USAHS to create and lead communications strategies that align with USAHS mission, vision, core values and culture
- Direct communications that build and protect the reputation of USAHS with internal audiences and key constituencies and that reinforce that students are always at the center of everything we do
- Lead and manage communication team members, including external agencies, consultants and contractors who contribute to and/or are accountable for day-to-day communications activities for USAHS
- Identify and establish effective communication channels to reach internal target audiences including students, faculty, staff, and alumni; incorporate feedback mechanisms
- Establish strategies for measuring communication effectiveness and outcomes
- Build annual internal communications plan and calendar aligned with University goals and objectives
- Prepare and manage internal communications including newsletters, organizational announcements, emergency communications, etc. in collaboration with USAHS business partners
- Develop University-wide messaging, policy positioning, thought leadership pieces and speeches for the CEO and President of USAHS, as well as for the CAO and other prominent faculty members
- Develop and create content for the University website (blogs and articles) and social media in collaboration with Marketing as appropriate.
Communications Compliance and Quality:
- Establish and maintain communications moderation/review processes to ensure quality and alignment of University-wide communications
- Ensure that USAHS communications comply with the institution’s regulatory and legal parameters; are sensitive to higher education as a regulated industry; and are reviewed/approved by appropriate subject matter experts as well as legal and regulatory representatives
- Provide communications leadership and counsel upon request from throughout the USAHS organization
- Manage crisis communications processes and protocols, suggesting improvements and revisions as necessary
- Collaborate with USAHS leadership and external relations function on external communications to mitigate the impact of a crisis
- Develop, manage and lead creation of targeted messaging and talking points with speed and efficiency to support effective crisis management and student/employee safety
- Oversee dissemination of communications through approved channels
Informed Business Decision Making
- Measure, report and analyze USAHS internal communications activity, and use data/results to track performance and make improvement recommendations
- Recommend and test new/emerging communications channels to improve target audience reach and message retention
POSITION IN ORGANIZATION
Reports to:Chief Experience Officer
Positions Supervised: Communications Specialist (part-time); external consultants, agencies and contractors engaged to support internal communications efforts
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL & PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred
- Minimum 5-7 years internal communications experience required
- Outstanding professional writing skills are a prerequisite for this position as is the ability to tailor communication style to reflect the voice of the organization and its leadership for different communications and audiences
- Ability to serve as communications advisor and writer to senior-level leaders while maintaining sense of urgency, responsiveness and poise
- Ability to write for different audiences, from senior leadership to alumni to students
- Experience managing communications in a crisis
- Ability to write, and apply strategic and issues management skills with speed and efficiency
- Flexible with regard to availability (time zones, days of week) depending on the urgency of a particular assignment
- Experience developing and managing a budget that aligns with key priorities
- Ability to maintain in-depth understanding of the USAHS strategies in the higher education marketplace.
- Ability to multi-task, triage, prioritize and manage many project requests and initiatives simultaneously
LICENSURE and/or CERTIFICATION
Ability to travel domestically, primarily to all USAHS campus locations
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Collaborates - Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Is Resilient - Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations
- Instills Trust - Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity
- Drives Results - Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances
- Innovation - Creates new and better ways for the organization to be successful
- Customer Focus - Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions
- Drives Engagement (People Managers Only) - Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
- People Leadership (People Managers Only) - Leads by example when it comes to finding and developing talent, with a focus on talent acquisition strategies, setting performance targets that raise standards and development of high potential talent.
Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment but may involve exposure to moderate noise levels. Work involves operation of personal computer equipment for six to eight hours daily and includes physical demands associated with a traditional office setting, e.g., walking, standing, communicating, and other physical functions as necessary.
Physical requirements of this position include the following:
üDoes not applyqTBDqTBD
qStooping, crawling, kneelingqTBDqTBD
qLifting up to 40 lbs.qTBD
qLifting over 40 lbs.qTBD
The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences is an equal opportunity at will employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.