Sr. Instructional DesignerJob ID Req #169 Location : Miami, FL, United States
Additional Locations : St. Augustine, FL, US; Date posted 06/13/2019
The Senior Instructional Designer is responsible for the creation and delivery of university-level course content for online graduate-level degree programs. The Senior Instructional Designer models leadership, collegiality and professionalism in the course development process and works within a highly collaborative instructional design team. S/he is involved in all phases of online course development, including media production, and has overarching responsibility for ensuring both the integrity and excellence of the final course product. The position is also responsible for leading Faculty Subject Matter Experts, and providing mentoring, support, and guidance to faculty and other instructional design staff in the creation of the online student experience. The Sr. Instructional Designer ensures that quality standards, brand promise, and the USAHS’s vision and mission are reflected in all aspects of the student experience.
The position is based at one of the following USAHS campuses: Miami, or St. Augustine.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads faculty and collaborates with academic leadership to develop course level outcomes, objectives and curriculum for online and blended courses, and assists faculty to generate an understanding of program level objectives, instructional models, and positioning for target audience/market.
- Collaboratively, in alignment with faculty subject matter experts, edits, writes, and designs instructional content for courses, in voice and style suited to the target audience, and in accordance with institutionally-determined learning models and best practices.
- Collaboratively with faculty subject matter experts, creates Course Scope & Sequence, Course Planner and Media Planner documents that outline the overall objectives of the curriculum and allows for the development of online course content.
- Designs, develops, or oversees the development of a variety of instructional media elements, and coordinates media production: obtains necessary approvals; plans budget; sets schedule and production timelines; arranges vendor relationships; assembles final elements of media; integrates media into online courses to ensure all accessibility and quality standards are met.
- Ensures that the content media aspects of the course are consistent with the learning outcomes and commensurate with the learning needs of the particular students for which the course is designed.
- Creates / builds all course components in LMS and assures courses meet or exceed QA standards, including navigation, technical functionality, meticulous proofreading and editing.
- Facilitates decision making with budget, time, and resources in mind and is proactive in identifying potential problems and solutions to ensure course development is completed on time and within budget and QA standards.
- Provides oversight of the quality of work performed by external vendors, including Contract Instructional Designers.
- Trains and mentors more junior instructional designers.
- Helps to develop standard processes across the domain team of course developers.
- Oversees special projects as assigned.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- May perform other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- May require periodic travel.
POSITION IN ORGANIZATION
Reports to: Director, Digital Learning, Design & Support
Positions Supervised: None
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL & PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of 5 years (7 or more years strongly preferred) of online course design experience, curriculum development, or related experience within a higher education environment.
- A Master's Degree in field of expertise is required, with a terminal degree strongly preferred in the area of instructional design, education, curriculum development, or teaching and learning.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Fluency using course development tools for creating instructional media (such as interactive presentations, video, multimedia) required. Work samples or a portfolio will be reviewed during interview process.
- Experience in training, mentoring, or teaching others strongly preferred.
- Advanced critical thinking, analysis, and synthesis skills required.
- Advanced skills in planning, organizing, and self-management required.
- Ability to work collaboratively and creatively in a deadline driven environment.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects at different stages, while meeting deadlines and quality standards.
- Precise, thorough, and detail-oriented.