Executive Director, Human Resources OperationsJob ID Req #214 Location : San Marcos, CA, United States
Date posted 09/10/2019
The Executive Director of Human Resources Operations is responsible for providing strong HR services for the college’s faculty, staff and leadership team. The primary areas of human resource responsibilities will include HR Operations and Compliance, Talent Management, and Talent Development. The HR Director is responsible for managing and executing the day-to-day human resources activities and services for a diverse, employee and academic workforce for a multi-campus, graduate institution that emphasizes health and rehabilitative science education through innovative classroom and distance education.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
HR Operations and Compliance:
- Provide leadership in the delivery of all HR services, to include payroll, benefits support, compliance training, and HR reporting; ensure all service level agreements are met and internal customers receive prompt, reliable, and exceptional service.
- Serve as the functional and operational HR expert; ensuring legal and policy compliance including preparation and updating of employment documents, handbooks and other associated documents.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local laws, policies and directions.
- Provide oversight for the required compliance training for the employee and faculty population to include: Title IX, Harassment, Code of Ethics, Injury Illness Prevention, etc.
- Participate in the institution’s accreditation process and ensure HR team is prepared and informed of all accreditation requirements.
- Assist with the oversight and development of the HR annual budget; monitor HR expenses in alignment with budget.
- Prepare HR related reports by utilizing HR related applications. These reports include, but are not limited to, headcount report, compliance training reports, employee census reports and other reports as deemed necessary.
- Responsible for conducting regular audits of all HR systems and processes to ensure consistency across all campuses and units.
Talent Management & Employee Relations:
- Serve as primary point of contact for matters relating to faculty and/ or staff issues, personnel matters, organizational initiatives, company-wide policies, practices and procedures.
- Participate with members of institutional management team providing guidance and input to the business with an emphasis on people related actions.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships to partner with business, academic, and functional leaders to develop and implement programs to support academic and business needs.
- Partner with the Executive Director of HR to support business, academic, and functional leaders on campus and implement programs to support institutional needs.
- Facilitate a culture of performance, accountability and collaboration within levels of the employee population in a very complex, multi-campus and matrixed academic organization.
- Successfully implement and manage organizational programs such as training offerings, performance management, and individual development planning.
- Collaborate with academic and institutional leaders to assess specific talent development needs and recommend solutions and facilitate training and development programs.
- Support the annual institutional talent review process and succession planning effort.
- Provide guidance to ensure appropriate talent acquisition and development are delivered for the designated academic and business partners.
- Partner with the talent acquisition team throughout the recruitment process for assigned academic business areas.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: 25% travel required to all campuses within the U.S.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- May perform other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Serve as a member of the institutional management team; actively participate in all management meetings as applicable.
- Serve as a liaison to academic operations, finance, student services, IT, legal, regulatory affairs and other departments to ensure alignment and successful operations.
- Ensure HR representation on university committees as needed
POSITION IN ORGANIZATION
REPORTS TO: Executive Director, Human Resources
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Campus HR Managers
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Successful track record influencing and working effectively in a collaborative manner with diverse teams across all levels of management in a very complex or matrix organization.
- Will collaboratively lead various institution-wide HR initiatives involving employee relations, recruiting, performance management, compensation planning, policy development, and training across multiple campuses and departments.
- Must have the ability to manage multiple priorities with fast paced, customer focused environment; demonstrated experience working in an HR operation simultaneously handling recruitment, staff and faculty relations, and training functions as well as other priorities.
- Proven experience implementing and executing large scale university-wide projects in a timely, efficient and cost effective manner.
- Demonstrates confidence and moves others to action by planning, motivating and organizing work tasks.
- Experience working in a distributed work-site environment with solid knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, policies and directions.
- Must possess the ability to be strategic and operational at the same time; willingness to take a hands-on approach.
- Lead, create and enhance the workplace culture, people practices, policies, programs and processes.
- Demonstrated proficiency follow-up skills, tenacity, and strong relationship building skills are required.
- Must be proficient in MS office applications, learning management systems and applicant tracking systems.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal, and the ability to establish and maintain credibility and relationships with speed.
- Effective team and partnering skills; strong problem solving and analytical skills, superior technology skills and awareness.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or related degree required, Master’s preferred. SPHR or PHR certification highly preferred.
- Qualified individuals will have 10 years of HR generalist and management experience in an academic, higher education and/or complex business setting.
- Experience in the healthcare industry is also highly preferred.
- Experience managing HR Managers and Generalists in multi-sites a must. This individual will also have relevant management experience in coaching hiring managers on core HR matters in an entrepreneurial culture.
Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment but may involve exposure to moderate noise levels. Work involves operation of personal computer equipment for six to eight hours daily and includes physical demands associated with a traditional office setting, e.g., walking, standing, communicating, and other physical functions as necessary.
LICENSURE and/or CERTIFICATION
HR Certification, preferred.
- Collaborates - Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Being Resilient - Rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
- Instills Trust - Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Drives Results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Innovation - Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Customer Focus - Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
·Drives Engagement - Creating a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
·People Leadership - Leads by example when it comes to finding and developing talent, with a focus on talent acquisition strategies, setting performance targets that raises standards and development of high potential talent.