Faculty, Full-time - Occupational Therapy ProgramJob ID Req #167 Location : San Marcos, CA, United States
Date posted 05/31/2019
A core faculty member at the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences (USAHS) provides engaging clinically-focused learning opportunities for students in the health science professions, through face-to-face, blended, and online delivery methods. The faculty member is responsible for academic advising and overseeing final program projects.They provide service to the University through committee, curriculum improvement, and advocacy for the profession.The faculty are scholars, being involved in building and integrating knowledge for advancement of the profession and the University.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Teaching: provides student-centered learning through best practice teaching activities
- Optimizes class/lab/online environment that is conducive to student learning by developing creative, challenging and evidence-based learning opportunities
- Uses learning assessment information to improve teaching and curriculum; participates in quality improvement initiatives to meet program and institutional goals
- Provides current, organized, error free instructional materials
- Maintains all components of the learning environment including online course portal management
Scholarship: actively engages in scholarship to advance knowledge
- Establishes and implements an approved scholarship plan/faculty development plan as required by accreditation and university standards
- Stays current with clinical practice and evidence that support content area expertise and professional growth
- Disseminates scholarly work consistent with University policies and accreditation expectations
Service: supports shared governance and promoting one’s profession
- Serves on programmatic and university committees as assigned
- Actively participates in his/her professional association
- Serves as university liaison in community and/or professional activities
- Uses release time that enhances the program (e.g. - clinical practice, consultation, advanced degree, research, service) as approved by the program director
- Participates in university governance, curriculum planning, and functions to support development and growth of the institution
Administration: supports efficient and consistent practices across all programs
- Performs course coordinator and lead instructor roles as assigned; works collaboratively with members of the team
- Advises students on academic, professional and/or personal issues while providing referrals when appropriate
- Provides other administrative duties as assigned
- Completes annual self-evaluation of faculty performance and sets goals for the next year in collaboration with the program director; is actively engaged in faculty development opportunities to meet performance goals
Professionalism:displays the behaviors of a professional academician and follows expected discipline specific Code of Ethics
- Promotes professionalism by modeling and encouraging such behaviors inside and outside the classroom setting
- Supports and exemplifies the University’s core values
- Actively engages in interprofessional collaboration activities
- Upholds and enforces student and faculty handbook policies and University policies/procedures
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Other responsibilities as assigned by the Academic Program Director
POSITION IN ORGANIZATION
Reports to:Academic Program Director/Assistant Academic Program Director
Positions Supervised: Contributing Faculty, Lab Assistants when assigned to courses
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL & PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Post-professional doctoral degree preferred. Candidates currently enrolled in a post-professional doctorate program will be considered.
- Teaching experience at the college/university level preferred.
- Experience with distance learning preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of clinical experience required.
- Experience in scholarly activity preferred.
LICENSURE and/or CERTIFICATION
Faculty Members must be appropriately credentialed, possess an earned degree from an accredited institution or recognized by a country's ministry of education in the discipline being taught, and be licensed or license-eligible in order to teach in specific programs.
Some travel may be requested up to 20% of the time
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Committed to Mission and Values - Has a clear understanding of institution’s mission and values. Has a passion for facilitating learning and for enabling students to navigate their own learning journey.
- Contribute Knowledge to the Discipline - Compelled by the opportunity to contribute through research, scholarship professional practice or creativity.
- Accountable -Takes personal responsibility for own goals and outcomes to ensure student success. Establishes clear expectations, follows through on commitments to students and holds them accountable for assignments and performance
- Collaborative - Works cooperatively with others across the institution and beyond, including the community and through partnerships. Represents own interests while being inclusive and fair to others.
- Communicates Effectively - Adapts oral and written communication approach and style to the audience and based on the message. Also listens attentively to others.
- Drives Engagement - Makes students feel welcome, understood and valued. Creates a learning environment that is compelling, challenging and productive.
- Academic Discipline Expertise - Has sufficient credentials, industry expertise and/or experience in the discipline to teach according to the standards and qualifications required.
- Education Design - Designs learning experiences closely linked to learning outcomes including lesson planning, design of project, work integrated, group learning experiences, or interactive learning objects. Has depth of expertise in pedagogy, andragogy and overall learning effectiveness.
- Teaching Delivery/Learning Facilitation Skills - Manages small, large, blended, hybrid and/or online classrooms, monitoring and ensuring participation, managing one’s own and students' time and attention effectively.
Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment but may involve exposure to moderate noise levels. Work involves operation of personal computer equipment for six to eight hours daily and includes physical demands associated with a traditional office setting, e.g., walking, standing, communicating, and other physical functions as necessary.