Student Success AdvisorJob ID 505 Location/s : St. Augustine, FL, US Austin,TX,US
Date Updated 05/12/2021
Student Success Advisor facilitate student success by defining and implementing proactive strategies that help students stay on track to fulfill their educational goals. Advisors build supportive and personalized relationships with students and provide them with opportunities to stay connected to our educational community. They advise students on institutional policies and procedures, program and degree requirements, and related academic matters; and work closely with other institutional support teams to ensure that student inquiries are addressed in a timely and effective manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Connect with new students upon acceptance of admission to ensure overall readiness and escalate outstanding matters that would affect their ability to have a smooth and successful start.
- Provide students with proactive guidance on acclimating to their new student lifestyle and building supportive personal environments and best practices to facilitate their student success.
- Advise students on institutional policies and procedures, program requirements and related academic matters.
- Assist faculty advisors as needed on any issues regarding student advisement.
- Provide comprehensive outreach to students who are at risk of not meeting satisfactory academic progress including follow up to those on midterm or other academic warning.
- Closely monitor students to proactively identify at-risk scenarios and identify opportunities to develop, implement, measure and improve student success strategies.
- Working in collaboration with academic program leadership, contribute to the achievement of acceptable licensure pass rates and positive retention rates for the assigned program(s).
- Work closely with institutional staff to ensure that student inquiries are strategically coordinated and addressed in a timely manner, leading to an inspiring student experience while supporting academic integrity and institutional policies.
- Guide students to develop accountability for their decisions and an understanding of how those decisions impact their success.
- Empower students to maintain effective connections to the institution and its community of learners.
- Must be willing to work up to 10 hours per week outside of M-F 8a-5p in order to accommodate students’ needs.
- Coordinate the campus peer tutoring program.
- Advise students on alternate schedules to provide support and ensure students are progressing within stated timeframes.
- Coordinate appeals and retention/progression hearings, not including arbitration, with the chairs of committees on campus.
- Assist with the delivery of on campus events as needed.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- May perform other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
POSITION IN ORGANIZATION
REPORTS TO: Director, Student Success
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience working in a service-oriented environment or educational setting.
- Master's degree required.
- Must have a strong commitment to education and have the counseling or coaching skills required to effectively keep students on track.
- Strong problem solving and time management skills.
- Ability to effectively multi-task.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to successfully resolve student issues from request through resolution.
- Effectively work with multiple databases and student platforms.
- Skilled at connecting and building rapport with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Creative, innovative, able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to adapt to new and rapidly changing situations.
- Familiarity with online learning and/or Internet technology.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Collaborates - Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Being Resilient - Rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
- Instills Trust - Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Drives Results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Innovation - Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Customer Focus - Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment but may involve exposure to moderate noise levels. Work involves operation of personal computer equipment for six to eight hours daily and includes physical demands associated with a traditional office setting, e.g., walking, standing, communicating, and other physical functions as necessary.
The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences is an equal opportunity at will employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.