Faculty Lab Instructor MOTJob ID 56 Location : Miami, FL, US Date posted 01/30/2019
Lab Instructors have various responsibilities such as organizing/maintaining equipment, preparing the lab environment, monitoring student progress and facilitating student participation in learning activities. The lab instructor communicates with the lead instructor regarding student performance or issues that arise and ensures the delivery of consistent content and testing. They may assist with grading practicals and other required assignments.
The qualified candidate must have an entry-level Masters of Occupational Therapy Degree or higher along with current certification with state board of chosen specialization. At least 2 years of practical hands-on experience is required in a patient care setting in the profession. The successful candidate will have excellent oral communication and organizational skills, be responsive to adult student needs, and be able to work collaboratively in a team environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares lab environment
- Organizes and maintains equipment; proposes equipment orders as needed
- Teaches lab component of course
- Monitors student progress; gives feedback; facilitates student participation in learning activities
- Assesses student performance on practical, oral, written examinations
- Supervises lab assistants (when available)
- Reports student grades at end of term to lead instructor
- Communicates with lead instructor to ensure consistent content and testing and to recommend changes for upcoming semester
- Serves as student-to-university liaison
- Upholds student and part-time faculty handbook policies
- Promotes professionalism by modeling such behaviors inside and outside the classroom setting
- Self-evaluates teaching performance; sets goals for improvement
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Entry-level Masters of Occupational Therapy Degree or higher
At least 2 years of practical hands-on experience in patient care setting in chosen specialization
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Professional role model
- Able to provide a nurturing, respectful learning environment
- Responsive to distance education, adult student needs
- Working knowledge of educational theory and motor skill development
- Able to work in a team environment
LICENSURE and/or CERTIFICATION
Licensed occupational therapist from an accredited university with demonstrated expertise in the area being taught
Current certification with state board of chosen specialization
The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences is an equal opportunity at will employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.